After School Program
Nillumbik Youth Maker Lab
Term 2, 2021: Tuesday 27 April – Tuesday 22 June
Location: Banyule Nillumbik Tech School, 61 Civic Drive, Greensborough
Duration: Tuesdays, 4pm – 6pm
A creative after school program for young people aged 10 to 18. You’ll get to hang out, meet new people and take part in free activities within a supported environment.
The Youth Maker Lab provides an opportunity for young people to make use of the facilities and equipment at the Banyule Nillumbik Tech School, and leverage the expertise available for their own projects outside of school hours. It will offer mentoring facilitated by trained mentors in areas such as programming, 3D printing, digital design, animation and gaming.
Over the term, participants will have the opportunity to work in three focus areas and work on an individual projects with the support of our skilled mentors. Term 1 topics will be:
- Computer-Aided Design and 3D printing
- Learn how to use CAD software to create your own 3D models. Once you’ve made your model, you’ll be able to print it in one of the 3D printers available at the lab
- Adobe Illustrator and vinyl printing
- Design your own sticker, T-shirt logo or other design in Adobe Illustrator. You can print your designs onto vinyl stickers, T-shirts or into wood using the lab’s laser cutter.
- Micro-bit programming
- Learn how to program and code using Micro-Bits to create a thermometer, set up a lighting sequence or display messages
- Learn how to create your own video game using easy to understand coding software
If there are other projects you have in mind, such as video game design or coding, that you want to work on, our mentors will be able to help you with that as well.
All parents and children over 12 are required to wear face masks onsite at BNTS. Parents are required to scan the Melbourne Polytechnic QR code on arrival to log their child’s attendance. Hand sanitiser will be available in all rooms and all stations to be cleaned by participants at the end of each session.