Learning through play can be a powerful method for understanding difficult concepts. In this design challenge, students will create an arcade game that demonstrates a STEM principle for a younger audience.
Enquire or Book
- Critical & Creative Thinking
- Design Technologies
- Develop a game prototype using computer programming
- Demonstrate a STEM principal through game design
- Understand that Design thinking and the Innovation Process can be used to create solutions to an identified problem
- Explain the process and experience for developing a game prototype
Over the two-day program, students take on the role of game designers, use emerging technology to program custom games, design unique controllers and build cabinets that create an engaging experience for primary school students.
During in-school pre-work, students unpack STEM concepts and consider the importance of good scientific literacy. Students will also investigate the expansion of the video game industry and its STEM careers. Class discussions and participation in learning activities will provide insight into the fundamentals of good game design – game loops, core mechanics, immersion, challenge and interaction.
Students will have the opportunity to create their prototypes using a range of emerging technologies, including programming using Make Code, 3D modelling, sensor technology, micro controllers and digital design.
Assembled game prototypes are showcased at an Indie Convention. Which provides an opportunity for students to interact with fellow game designers and collaborate on a variety of STEM Arcade games.
2 Day Program or;
4x 90 minute sessions
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
- Adobe Illustrator CC